Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Two fantastic female performances last week

Last week, Ireland had two fantastic female cycling performances. One you certainly know about, another was a little more hidden. Caroline Ryan secured Ireland its first Track cycling World Championship medal in over one hundred years. I had just came in from training and got to watch the tail end of her points race - her performance was gutsy and I was screaming at my laptop for her - amazing riding... From a nation that doesn't even have a track - great motivation, determination and follow-through.

The other performance was down in Kerry for Ras Mumhan. Siobhan Dervan/Horgan took part as the only female in Ras Mumhan with 180 of the strongest male Irish and International cyclists. Ras Mumhan is probably the most prestigious and hardest stage race outside of the UCI 2.2 AnPost Ras. Not only did she compete, she was at the front of the main peloton throughout and finished 51st overall. If she hadn't gotten caught up in a crash on the first day, she would have finished much higher.

I have been at World Cups and World Championships and marveled at the female performance, but for me - Siobhan's ride was one of the best female performances I have ever witnessed, she rode her legs off and I simply could not believe it at times when I turned around and saw her sitting on my wheel - and all this with breaking her wrist only a couple of weeks ago.

Best of luck Siobhan in the coming weeks, those tough Kerry miles should certainly help in your races.

Edit - just noticed she has a post on Sticky Bottle about it.

No comments: