Monday, February 04, 2008

A Relaxing Weekend

As it was the weekend of a recovery week, I decided to enjoy the things outside of cycling a bit more. Of course it all started with a road spin with Mel though :) Mel has been getting stonger on the bike and as I wanted to take it easy enough we decided to head out for a 3 hour steady road spin around Wicklow together. When we left the house it was very cold but by the time we got to the mountains proper there was a lot of snow and ice. I have no pictures of it but the descent from Sally Gap home was the sketchiest thing I've done on a bike. Snow, and worst of all ice the whole way down – at times I thought my rear wheel (2.3 – 120psi) was going to pass out my front wheel. Eventually we made it down to the warm confines of the Glencree coffee shop (I don't go for coffee during spins very often so this was a treat) for some Lattes and scones.



The road to Sally Gap

Mel and I in the coffee shop

That night, we headed out 'clubbing' to the Jack in the Box night in the Sub. I was hoping for a bigger, more busy place then it turned out to be. The DJ was pretty poor although the music itself was good. It is around a year since I was last clubbing – nuts for someone who about 3 years ago would have been out every week.

The final treat of the weekend was a trip for Brunch to Odessa – our favourite place to go on a Sunday morning (that isn't the mountains). When we first started dating we went there one morning and I've loved it since. The food was, as usual, amazing except that it ended up sitting in my stomach all day making me feel lethargic (I'm so not used to that much fat in food...) Ahh well, you only live once.

No comments: