Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sore legs...

Yesterday I was out riding the mountain bike and today was supposed to be high intensity intervals off road but I think my legs have a bit of a case of DOMS. I was pretty good on Monday but yesterday and today my legs just don't have any getup and go. I'm going to switch around the steady road ride scheduled for Thursday with todays intervals. I know tomorrow I'll be able to get the intensity right.

I do like this explanation of DOMs on Wikipedia though:
"Some research claims that DOMS is not caused by the pain from damaged muscle cells, but from the reinforcement process. The muscle responds to training by reinforcing itself up to and above its previous strength by increasing the size of muscle fibers (muscle hypertrophy). This reinforcement process causes the cells to swell in their compartment and put pressure on nerves and arteries producing pain."

I guess the first race of the season really did shock my legs!

No comments: