Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sean Nolan Meath GP Road Race

The weekend saw me take part in my second ever road race in Navan. The race was advertised to be a 112km but at the start line they informed up that it was actually going to be closer to 162km... A bit longer then I wanted! The race started like the other race I took part in, fast fast, slow slow, fast fast.... Unlike the last time, I decided that I was going to be aggressive from the start and bridge breaks and basically try to get into the lead break... (Riding fast, putting out a lot of power was the purpose, from a training point of view, for the race) I rode hard and over a 25 minute interval my average speed was around 50kph – pretty nuts (for me at least) on a flat course. Still though, I missed the break that occurred at around 27 minutes and could not catch it (no one in the Peloton seemed bothered). I was a little annoyed about that with the amount of work I put in, but I'm still a newbie...

The course was basically ride out to a lap, do 4 laps of a big lap and then ride back to the start. After the third lap my back had been giving me a little trouble (something that happens from time to time since the Castlewellan race) and I decided that as I wasn't in the lead group and this was a training race anyway that I'd call it a day and pull out early... I have XC races the next few weeks and I was a little weary of doing such a long race especially since I was not in the mindset of 162km... (didn't have enough food/water either). I rode back to the car and ended up (including the warmup/cool down) doing about 150km anyway...

I didn't like the course, it was really flat with no real climbing so I don't think it would suit me – although I hear that almost all the road races in Ireland are like this.... Give me a proper 1000 meter climb any day...

Results can be found here

No comments: